|Presidential Decree on AIDS Prevention and Control Commission|
THE PRESIDENT OF
THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
NUMBER 36, 1994
AIDS PREVENTION AND CONTROL COMMISSION
- that AIDS or Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, occurred due to the infection of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which destroy the immunity of the human body and that the vaccine to prevent the infection and drug to cure the syndrome are not yet invented;
- that the speed of AIDS spread is increasing rapidly and if is not immediately controlled it will endanger individual life and or community and even it may influence the human resource in political, economical, socio-cultural and defense security sectors;
- that to prevent and control AIDS, The General Assembly of the United Nations Organization in October 1987 has publicly released the Global strategy on the prevention and control of AIDS which was submitted by WHO in 1985/1986;
- that for the prevention and control of AIDS nationally, regionally and globally based on humanity and justice, it is regarded to be necessary to establish an AIDS Prevention and Control Commission.
||Article 4 paragraph (1) of The 1945 Constitution:
D E C I D E S
||THE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE ON AIDS PREVENTION AND CONTROL COMMISSION.
In overall integrated and coordinated prevention and control of AIDS in Indonesia, a Multisectoral Commission is established, namely, AIDS Prevention and Control Commission.
AIDS Prevention and Control Commission as stated in article 1 has following objective:
- to implement AIDS prevention and control effort based on existing laws and regulations and or global strategy on the prevention and control of AIDS which is publicly released by United Nations Organization;
- to increase public awareness on the danger of AIDS, and increasing the overall integrated and coordinated prevention and or control of AIDS multisectorally;
To achieve the objective as stated Article 2, The AIDS Prevention and Control Commission implements the following activities:
- AIDS Campaign covered prevention, Health Education, service, monitoring and controlling of the danger of AIDS;
- Epidemiological surveillance of groups of population with high risk behaviour to be infected and become transmitter or disseminator of AIDS;
- Health education on the danger and AIDS preventive measures for general public;
- Dissemination of information on AIDS in various mass-media, in relation to appropriate information and without creating public unrest;
- Establishing regional and international cooperation in the prevention and control of AIDS.
- The organization structure of AIDS Prevention and Control Commission consists of chairman, vice chairman/vice chairperson and members.
- The Chairman of the Commission is the Coordinating Minister for People’s Welfare and Vice Chairman/vice chairperson of the Commission consists of:
- First Vice Chairman in Health sector is the Minister of Health;
- Second Vice Chairman in Religious sector is the Minister of Religious Affairs;
- Third Vice Chairperson in Social sector is the Minister of Social Affairs;
- Fourth Vice chairman in population sector is the Minister of population/the Chairman of the National Family Planning Coordinating Board;
- Members of the Commission consists of:
- The Minister of Indonesian Affairs
- The Minister of Justice
- The Minister of Information
- The Minister of Tourism, Post and Telecommunication
- The Minister of Education and Culture
- The Minister of Manpower
- The State Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports
- The State Minister for the Role of Women
- Any other necessary Minister/Head of Government Institution.
- The Commission Chairman as stated in Article 4 Paragraph (2) together with vice chairman and commission members have a responsibility to formulate the draft of the National Policy of AIDS Prevention and Control coordinatively and integratively which covers prevention, service, monitoring, controlling, and health education on the danger of AIDS in Indonesia, with emphasis on the improvement of family resistance.
- Vice chairmen/vice chairperson of the Commission in accordance to the respective sectors, implementing AIDS prevention and control activities based on the policy is decided by the Commission chairman, involving the necessary related institutions/non governmental organizations/experts.
- Vice chairmen/chairperson of the commission in carrying out his/her function is assisted by a technical team with an organization structure established by the respective Vice chairmen/vice chairperson of the Commission.
- The Commission can establish a working group in accordance to the niccessity. The secretariat of the commission is fuctionally carried out by the existing unit at the Office of the Coordinating Minister for People’s Welfare. The functions and duties of the secretariat are decided by the Coordinating Minister for People’s Welfare as the Chairman of the Commission.
- To facilitate the implementation of his/her duty if is necessary Vice Chairman/vice chairperson can establish a small secretariat which is fuctionally carried by the particular unit at the respective Ministries.
At the provincial level, AIDS Prevention and Control Commission is establised and chaired by the Governor and at the district level it is chaired by the Regent/Mayor of the municipality; the Commission organizations structure is composed in accordance with the structure of the Commission of the central level.
Duties and functions of the local AIDS Prevention and Control Commission are implementing AIDS prevention and control in its respective areas in accordance with the policy issued by the AIDS Prevention and Control Commission at the central level, the Local Commission should report its results periodically and incidentally to the Chairman of the AIDS Prevention and Control Commission at the central level.
All expenses regarding the implementation of coordination on AIDS Prevetion and Control will be provided from the budget of the Office of the Coordinating Minister for People’s Welfare and for technical operation activities will be provided from the budget of the respective ministeries, and grants/donations from International Agencies or other Private sectors.
This Presidential Decree is coming into force on the date of its issued.
Issued in Jakarta
on 30th May 1994
THE PRESIDENT OF
THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
Last update: 16 May 2008